This was my outfit for this morning’s playdate with a friend and her two son’s. Yesterday I had taken my son to the park/spray park and I was wearing a skirt and a white t-shirt. I learned my lesson after getting soaked and decided that today I would wear a bathing suit, tank top and shorts instead. I have to say that I had the time of my life with son. Having a 3 year old reminds me of what it feels like to be a kid again. My son is so carefree, and innocent. I love watching him play and see his imagination at work. At a birthday party this past Saturday, I got right into the sand with the kids and started digging. At first I think I was having more fun digging for treasure then the kids. And again today I got right into the sand pit with my son. By the time we were finished building a bird’s nest (my son’s idea), we were both caked in sand. I loved every minute of it. We played in the spray park like we were both toddlers. He loved pouring his bucket of water on me. Seeing his joy and smile made my heart melt. I don’t know about you but when my son smiles at me, it brings tears to my eyes and I feel like the Grinch in that my heart grows 3 sizes. After we got home today, before his nap, he wanted to have a dance party. I put ITunes on and we both danced our hearts out to “Call Me Maybe”, “Sexy and I know it”, and “S & M”. He loves the beat of the music, and thankfully doesn’t understand the lyrics to the songs :). We both danced around the den, signing our hearts out. That was the most fun I’ve had dancing in a long time. It was so liberating to dance around like monkeys and not worry about a thing. That is my son’s life right now, and I wish I could keep it this innocent and carefree for the rest of his life. I hope he remembers our little dance party because this Mama sure won’t ever forget it.
So to all of you parents out there or people that have nieces or nephews go out and dance with them, play dress up with them, play in the sand with them, get dirty with them because its just as good for them as it is for you. Go ahead and be a 30+ year old kid. We should all do that every once in a while and we would be happier. Here’s a staggering and sad statistic, according to The Wall Street Journal “Kids smile 400 times a day and adult’s smile only 20 times a day”. I know how cathartic it was for me to dance around the den with my son and not worry about bills or life. I know that I need to have more fun in my life and I am so thankful to have my son to remind me of that. Life is too short to not smile, dance and enjoy it. So may you all turn up your speakers today and dance your hearts out, with or without a child. I promise you will feel much better.
My fashion tip for this blog is that if you don’t already own a white Oxford shirt, go out and get one. Its extremely versatile and flattering on everyone.
Below are 8 different ideas on how to wear a white Oxford (or boyfriend) shirt.
1. Wear it with skinny jeans and boots, and add a touch of color with a turquoise bubble necklace.White shirt (Jacob). Skinny jeans (R W and Co.). Boots (Brown’s). Necklace (Etsy). Bracelet (Stella and Dot). Watch (Michael Kors).
2. Wear it with an awning skirt and some pearls.White Shirt (Jacob). Skirt (My girlfriend’s closet). Wedges (Aldo). Watch (Guess). Bracelet (gift). Pearl necklace (gift from my husband).
3. Wear it with a nice pair of black shorts and some patent heels.White Shirt (Jacob). Shorts (Gap). Shoes (Steve Madden). Watch (Guess). Bracelet (Stella and Dot).
4. Wear it a preppy way with a cardigan.White shirt (Jacob). Cardigan (H & M). Shorts (Reitmans). Sandals (Aldo). Watch (Michael Kors). Bracelet (Stella and Dot). Chain link necklace (Banana Republic).
5. Wear it with a pair of boyfriend jeans and a striped red sweater.White shirt (Jacob). Sweater (Old Navy). Jeans (R W and Co.) Necklace (Banana Republic). Watch (Michael Kors). Flats (Rocket Dog).
6. Belt it and wear it with leggings.White Shirt, belt and leggings (Jacob). Shoes (Aldo). Necklace (Banana Republic). Bracelet (Stella and Dot). Watch (Michael Kors).
7. Wear it with jeans, a cardigan and flats. I saw this look on Pinterest and it inspired me.
8. Wear it with trouser jeans and a boyfriend blazer.White shirt (Jacob). Trouser jeans (Gap). Boyfriend Blazer (R W and Co.). Wedges (Aldo). Necklace (Stella and Dot). Bracelet (Stella and Dot). Watch (Michael Kors).
Writing this blog has made me go into my closet and see how I can wear one item many different ways. Go into your closet and see how many different ways you can wear something.
May this blog inspire you to sing along to some Carly Rae Jepsen, to smile more often, and to purchase yourself a white oxford (boyfriend) shirt and see how many different ways you can wear it. I may not end up wearing some of my outfit ideas but it was sure fun to play dress up. Let me know what you think.
Happy Thursday Everyone!!! 🙂