My friend and I were at Sephora a few weeks back and we were discussing organic skin care products and makeup. I told her that a few years ago, while watching Oprah, I discovered a great book called “Gorgeously Green“. Being the big Oprah fan that I am (I had a chance to see one of her last tapings in Chicago last April) I went out and bought the book. Let me clarify that I did watch the episode and what the author, Sophie Uliano, spoke about resonated with me. Did I really know what was in the products that I put on my face everyday? Do you know? I can’t even pronounce most of the ingredients. It made me think and re-evaluate the products I use on a daily basis. One of the biggest challenges I found was that this book is American, and 5 years ago organic products were not as readily available as they are now, nor did we have a Sephora in Coquitlam.
Before I continue, I want to preface this by stating that I am not a granola eating hippie (although there is nothing wrong with either, in fact I love granola with Greek yogurt). I am a normal woman and mother in her 30’s that likes fashion and make up. The reason for my change to organic, natural products was that I didn’t like that most makeup and skin care products contain Cancer causing ingredients. The two common ingredients are: parabens found in everything, lip sticks, eye shadow, mascara, eye line, lotion, etc and formaldehyde commonly found in nail polish. Whenever I would wear mascara, my eyes would itch and become irritated. The other reason is that my husband and I wanted to start a family and I realized that whatever I put in or on my body could be transferred to the baby.
So after 5 yrs of trial and error here are my picks for great organic skin care products and makeup that can be found here in Canada at a reasonable price.
Found at your local Sephora store:
- Origins- I love their “Nature’s Gentle Dermabrasion $46, Ginzing Refreshing Eye Cream $37, and their toner $23
- Bare Minerals– Has the best face moisturizer $35 and cleanser $25. FYI Bare Minerals has a great selection of natural eye shadows, eye liners, primers, bronzers, blush and mineral powders.
- Sephora brand eye shadow– check the back of the eye shadows as some of the eye shadows are paraben free. My 2 favorites are the palettes called Taupe and Almost Nude. Prices vary from $16 for single shadow to $31 for the eye shadow palettes. I’ve had mine for almost 2 yrs. Well worth the price.
- Opi brand nail polish at Sephora– are formaldehyde free. $12 for nail polish
- Tarte- has a great concealer called Smooth Operator™ Amazonian Clay Waterproof Concealer $29 and mascara called Lights, Camera, Lashes $25. My eyes have never watered or reacted to this mascara.
Found at Body Shop
- Great facial mask from the brand Nutriganics called Smoothing mask $22.
Rocky Mountain Soap Company has great body butter that is all natural. I used their nipple cream and stretch mark body butter and it was amazing. It can be found at Planet Organic.
St. Ives makes a great body lotion that is made from 92% natural ingredients and is paraben free and can be found at any drug store or Walmart. Retails for $5.99.
Garnier Fructis has a great natural shampoo and conditioner that is made from 95% natural ingredients. Again this can be found at any drug store but the cheapest by far is at Walmart $5.99 for 750 ml bottle.
Last but not least my favorite natural baby brand products are:
- Live Baby Clean– can be found at most drug stores, includes shampoos, baby wash, bum cream
- Gaia products- also has a wide variety of products, can be found at Baby’s World
- Badger– great natural sunscreen, can be found at Planet Organic
I hope that you find this useful. I know I wish I would have had it laid out for me this easy years ago. If any of you have other great natural products that you swear by please let me know.
You can find more information in a great Canadian book called Ecoholic by Adria Vasil. There is also another great book for information on organic products for baby called Raising Baby Green: The Earth-Friendly Guide to Pregnancy, Childbirth and Baby Care by Alan Greene.
I want to end each of my blogs with some fashion advice. So for today, since the weather is so lousy, I want to end it with a spruce of color. It doesn’t have to be anything drastic. You can start by adding a colorful scarf to your outfit or some colorful accessories, like a brightly colored watch or bracelet, or earrings or necklace. What about adding some color to your footwear?!!! Tom’s has some great red runners (which I adore and live in) and for every pair you buy, they donate one. Or if you are brave you could add a punch of color to your outfit with a brightly colored trench coat. I was quite brave this Spring and purchased a beautiful bright pink trench coat. I have to say that whenever I wear it, especially when it rains, it brightens up my day.
May this blog inspire you to buy at least one natural product to try and add some color to your outfits and wardrobe.
Happy dreary Monday everyone!!! 🙂